Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Lab 4 - Proposed Airport Expansion

This week's lab is a two-week lab, as we have the midterm exam next lab session. Finally, in week four, we have really arrived at what is the real bulk of this Geography 7 class: ArcGIS. Specifically, we used ArcMaps to familiarize ourselves to the ArcGIS environment. In object of this lab session was to create a poster with numerous maps displaying information on a proposed airport expansion.

As expected, ArcMaps looks fairly complex and for a first time user, that means a big learning curve. Luckily, I am fairly computer savvy so I was able to pick things up quickly as I section wore on. Having worked with other powerful software such as SolidWorks and Photoshop, I knew what to expect and was not intimidated if something did not work immediately. However, I did run into a couple issues, but the TA was able to help me. For those who are not as familiar with computers and the Windows operating system, I think this lab would be very challenging. I would by no means call ArcMaps intuitive or easy to use. This is by far the greatest pitfall of GIS.

The map editor is another example of where GIS could cause misinformation. As I did in the computing lab, anyone could add roads and other information to the maps that do not actually exist. The general public needs to be careful when considering any user created maps.
The other students and I were all given a tutorial to follow that walked us through the lab. It was very straightforward and easy to follow, which helped make the experience much smoother. It was a great resource and really helped me learn, even if I was just reading through a tutorial.

Power is the strength of GIS. In a simple example, the lab demonstrated how relevant and useful GIS can be. Expanding an airport will cause more noise and residential neighbors will always complain about such things. The use of GIS in this situation could help designers expand the airport in such a way as to minimize the population density inside of the noise contour. And there are so many other areas in which it can be used. For example, the Professor uses it for studying populations of flora and fauna. The possibilities are endless with GIS.


Product of Lab 4

No comments:

Post a Comment